« Home | Photo Update » | Delay of Game » | Hi, my name is Pete and I'm a coffeeholic. » | Tennesee Wedding, Part I » | This Weekend In Review. » | How to give yourself an ulcer... » | I want a pear... » | "And I feel so much depends on the weather... so i... » | Finally Friday » | Week One: A Report In Numbers » 

Thursday, July 14, 2005

It may be closed on Sunday's, but it's the best restaurant any day of the week...

Okay, today I found out something so freaking EARTH SHATTERING in my world that I have to share it with you folks. And those of you who know me will truly realize the severity of this issue.

But first, a bit of backstory...
-------
I grew up in Atlanta. It's a wonderful town, but after college I thought I'd go up north to NYC to investigate the Manhattan scene. I spent just under five years, and it took me getting away from Atlanta to realize what exactly the city, and the Southeast for that matter, had to offer.

I missed trees. I missed grass. I missed backyards. I know that all of these things are available in the suburbs of New York, but I didn't feel like moving out of Manhattan to have hints of those things. I mean, I came to New York and paid the huge premium to have the big city experience. Not poo-pooing on New Jersey or Long Island (or the ever enigmatic "Upstate") but commuting an hour-plus everyday (and even longer when you want to spend an evening in the city) and still having that high premium didn't make sense to me.

There were other things about the south that I missed. For instance, every time I came back to Atlanta, I would try to make what I called "The HatTrick"-- hitting the three restaurants in Atlanta that I didn't have access to in New York:

1) The Varsity
2) Waffle House
3) Chick-Fil-A

(A brief aside-- my love for fast food knows NO BOUNDS. It's kind of sick-- I actually was inspired by "Super Size Me". It struck a chord so deep in my soul that I thought I could have starred in the documentary. )

Until my last year of living in New York City, there were none of these restaurants in New York. It was only last year that I found out that Chick-Fil-A had opened up ONE location. It was located in the New York University food court.

Regardless, immediately upon finding out about the Chick-Fil-A in New York, I jumped on the subway with Carlton (one of my co-workers who shares the same passion for Chick-Fil-A sandwiches) and rode the 6-train fifty blocks down to locate it. I spent several lunch hours making that commute to get that sandwich.

I mentioned earlier in this weblog about how I stopped for breakfast at Chick-Fil-A on the way to work. After a five year drought, I went on somewhat of a "binge", but I had to curb that practice quickly, realizing I was close to regaining my all-time "heavyweight" status.

Anyway, this brings us to today... I work in a mammoth building just off the runways of Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta. Now, the place I would stop for breakfast is a five minute drive from the office and I would go there maybe once a week to enjoy the fine culinary experience. And from the abundance of Chick-Fil-A cups in the office, I thought everyone shared my sentiments.

I was talking with one of my co-workers, Wilson (name changed to protect the innocent), about places to eat around the office. Here's the conversation:

Pete: So, what's there to eat around here?
Wilson: Ah, there are a couple of restaurants in downtown Hapeville... Wendy's, Mickey D's, there's a good chinese buffet...
P: (intrigued) Really??? Man, all you can eat buffets aren't so much of a DEAL as they are a PERSONAL CHALLENGE.
W: Oh yeah. I've been known to do some damage there. But I don't get a chance to get out much. I usually just stick with the cafeteria here.
P: We have a cafeteria?!
W: Oh yeah... they've got a grill and salads and stuff. They've got good Philly Cheesesteaks.
P: Dude, I loves me some cheesesteaks.
W: They're good. But if there's nothing that really spikes your interest, you've always got Chick-Fil-A to fall back on.
P: Yeah, that restaurant in Hapeville is pretty good.
W: No, no... in the cafeteria.
P: What do you mean?
W: Uh, they've got Chick-Fil-A in the cafeteria...
P: You mean HERE? ON SIGHT?
W: Uhhhh, yeah.
P: In THIS building? In the cafeteria that's no more than 200 yards from my DESK?
W: Yeah, why?
P: [Giggles in ecstacy] Oh man... There goes my Christmas bonus-- my productivity just hit an all-time low.
[END SCENE]

So there you have it. There's a muhfuckin' Chick-Fil-A within skipping distance of my desk.

And I can't tell you how much I love this job. The perks kick serious ass.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment