« Home | "And I feel so much depends on the weather... so i... » | Finally Friday » | Week One: A Report In Numbers » | "Papa Bear, this is Baby Bear. The porridge is ho... » | Livin' with ATLiens » | This Morning's Laundry (A Story in Haiku) » | "It's the only time I've ever been to Staten Island." » 

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I want a pear...

I got a call from my brother on Sunday, who is spending the summer in New York interning at a Hedge Fund in midtown. It's kind of funny to hear him ask questions like "Do you think I should walk the 45 blocks to work?" and "Is it safe to walk down Madison Avenue after dark?"

He's actually working a couple of blocks from the office where I worked in Manhattan. This has certainly played out to his advantage, considering my brother and I share our penchant for fine Pan-American delicacies (such as the spicy chicken sandwich at Wendys or the two-cheeseburger meal at Mickey D's). My three years of tested culinary research will prove invaluable to him.

For instance, my advice to him yesterday was, "Rob, first things first-- don't hit those deli sandwich shops like Pret a Manger, Hale and Hearty or PAX or whatever... those places will only kill your wallet. And you'll leave still feeling hungry anyway. Now, if you're hungry for McDonalds, you should really go to the one on 57th rather than the one at 52nd and 3rd... the one on 57th has better fries, and more seating. Plus, you can also change your mind and hit the Wendy's across the street. If you hit up Wendys, and if you can help it, try to avoid the register on the far right... the girl who has that register is pisssssssssssssed. Now, I'm sure you already know is no shortage of Subway's in your area, but if you're looking to switch it up a bit, there's a Taco Bell that no one really knows about, and you'd miss it if you didn't know where it was."

That's the beauty of my relationship with my brother... while most people would think this kind of knowledge is a complete waste of time, energy, and braincells, Rob was completely grateful. He was a bit discouraged, however, to hear that the Chick-fil-a was 6 subway stops from work (and three from his apartment), but said it wasn't that big of a deal when I told him about the unlimited use Metrocards.

I regret the fact that I'm not in New York at the same time as him. I would have enjoyed going to Yankees games with my brother (and wouldn't have to watch what I said about the Yankees, considering I would have "my own personal bodyguard" sitting next to me). I definitely believe there would have been some all-night Madden-Marathons, where either he or I would claim that the other was cheating or playing cheap in some shape or form. It would have been nice to know that I had someone from my family in the city, just a few subway stops away. And I think about all of the planned New York projects that I had always wanted to do (like doing the 2nd Avenue Bar Crawl or finding "New York's Best Wings"), and know that my brother would have been the best wingman on the planet (pardon the pun).

I guess we'll just have to eat a bunch of wings when I come visit this summer...

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment