« Home | I want a pear... » | "And I feel so much depends on the weather... so i... » | Finally Friday » | Week One: A Report In Numbers » | "Papa Bear, this is Baby Bear. The porridge is ho... » | Livin' with ATLiens » | This Morning's Laundry (A Story in Haiku) » | "It's the only time I've ever been to Staten Island." » 

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

How to give yourself an ulcer...

(I just realized I missed ANOTHER Real World/Road Rules Inferno last night. Ah shucks!)

It's been a crazy past couple of days, and it looks like the hits keep coming:

The big news around the house is that on Friday, Papa Bear officially gave up his quest for his truck. Dad's master plan to procure a pick-up is theoretically over. He said that Mom was giving him too hard of a time about it... I felt this was bullshit, frankly, and if anyone on this planet deserves a truck, it's Dad. Saturday morning I went to talk to Mom to set things straight. Her view is that a pick-up isn't safe, and Papa Bear would drive it like a sports car. Plus, she contends that his hearing and sight aren't as good as they used to be. My response was short and to the point, which drove my Mom to tears.

Dad gets pissed off with me for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. So, I go 0-for-2 with the parents on Saturday.

I spend most of the day outside the house. Saturday night, my wife has a meltdown (the stress finally catches up to her)... And in the 8 years we've been together, I've never seen her have a meltdown this big.

Living with the inlaws can be a bit stressful, I guess. Anyway, long story short, let's just say Pete goes 0-for-3.

I have discovered some amazing things during this moving process:

1) You're supposed to tip movers. Huh. Never knew that. But considering I've never had movers before, I guess it's not THAT big of a deal.
2) Getting the smell of smoke out of clothes is a pain in the ass.
3) Never let your parents negotiate buying your house (unless they're a real estate agent or something). Do it yourself. Trust me, you may end up paying a bit more for the place, but it'll make things easier in the end.
4) I have absolutely no idea where 99% of my possessions are. I know who has them (the moving company), and I assume they're SOMEWHERE along the eastern seaboard. Surprisingly enough, I'm about 1% as freaked out as I should be in this case...

Thankfully I'm closing on the house tomorrow. Unthankfully (???), I'm not moving in until Friday (when the movers get to town), but I'm still FREAKIN' psyched.

To cap it all of, this weekend we're going car shopping. I have been looking at car ads, and as much as I hate it, I might just have to cave and get a PT cruiser. I dunno, I've always said I hated those cars, but I saw one yesterday in this cobalt blue color that looked amazing. And my wife likes them too, so Saturday, we're off to test drive the mofo.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment